My Background

Friday 3 December 2021

SVN Winter Seaside Series: Days 6 - 8

Day 6: Advent Challenge,  01.12.2021

Felt a bit rough last night. Stupid cold, won't go. But a hot toddy helped - felt much better this morning! Was the flatter route in Samphire Hoe today, 5km loops, up and down the mini rollocoaster hills, up the big roller coaster hill to run by the railway line along the nice sheltered path, though the wasteland and back. Did a bit of a quicker pace today for a marathon with Andrew, and all felt good for day 6. Nice weather too, and beautiful views over the sea. 


Advent Challenge meant lots of fancy dress out (I am ashamed of my lack of attempt at themed outfits this week) and Christmas goodies on the aid station (mince pies, yum!). The medal is so lovely, an advent calendar with a moveable magnet!







After the run, it was time for the cafe trip for crumpets and latte, plus Andrew's daily ice cream (he has corrupted Rachel too!) Then it was off for another Mall trip, and a drive to St Margaret's at Cliff - down a steep windy road to the beach at the bottom. Felt a bit like Ventnor in Isle of Wight. M+S meal for tea (mac n cheese) in the cold wooden shed, which to be fair, seems to have warmed up, a bit. 

Day 7: Mega Challenge, 02.12.2021
Back on the big loops today (8.8 miles each). I couldn't wake or or warm up this morning, the temperature has dropped again, so wasn't sure how I'd feel running. All was fine once got going! Got running with Zandra and Andrew from the start, and it was a great day running together in the sunshine. Loved it! Ran an extra loop at the end with Zandra to do a 50km. 




The guy in the cafe had bought in extra crumpets especially for us. How nice is that! Had a nice chat to him about stuff, and found he has run half marathons himself. Whenever I eat crumpets now I am going to think of Samphire Hoe.

Have hit the point I remember from my last (and only other) 10 in 10, where its getting sad to think there's only a few more days of this routine, in this place, with these people. Funny that almost one week ago, we were arriving at the cold shed, freezing from running in the cold, and getting more freezing from being inside, and wondering what kind of holiday was this.... 

Day 8: Lucky Dip Challenge, 03.12.2021
A bad weather day again today! Raining and chilly. Back on the 6.55 mile laps around the Hoe, then up on the cliffs, x 4 for a marathon. Sad that Alice is injured, missed her today!

Up on the cliffs there were no views whatsoever for most of the time (running through clouds), the wind blowing a gale, and with it blowing runners all over the path. Occasionally the cloud would lift, and an atmospheric moment would appear briefly beneath the clouds. Wooo. Found the bottle that fell unnoticed out of my bag yesterday. Couldn't get warm. Fed up of my hands being so cold and painful. Seems to be worse each year. Had a tantrum in front of a sheep at the beginning of lap 3, when I had a glove change but my hands were so cold I couldn't get the new ones on. Mr Sheep stood his ground, cocked his head to the side, and gave me a piercing look, as if to say I should really pull myself together. Having apparently reached a point on day 8 of taking guidance from a sheep, I got the gloves on, and got running again, just trying to keep a decent pace to keep warm. Hands warmed up. I then lost the top off my other bottle in the tunnel - plip plop, it rolled off into the darkness, never to be seen again. Saw Mr Sheep again at the beginning of my last lap, and apologised for my earlier behaviour. I said, I'm sorry if I alarmed ewe. Saw Baywatch briefly, but he was mostly sheltering or eating grass in the mist today, his beautiful mane and tail looking slightly bedraggled. 

Amazing to see Elaine complete her 700th marathon today, the first British lady to do this.  History is made! Absolutely incredible.

Andrew with his daily ice cream, and with his outfit twin Traviss....


Pick n Mix medal day today. SVN have so many beautiful medals its too hard to choose between them, but after several minutes of deliberating (I almost went to find Mr Sheep to seek his advice) I plumped for the Teddy Bears Picnic, to remind me of the beautiful weather today, which would have been just perfect for a picnic. 


8 done....2 to go.....

Thanks Traviss and Rachel!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment