My Background

Sunday 19 December 2021

SVN Double weekend - Festive Frolic 50km and Usual Suspects Marathon

A weekend in Gravesend (Costa Del Gravesend) for a pre-Christmas double, to work up an appetite for Christmas lunch (wherever that might be now, with Omnicron doing it's thing).

We had fog! Giving the Cyclopark an unusually ethereal feel. Which was shattered somewhat twice per lap when running past the Christmas Fayre, with music blaring out of the murk, and the smell of burgers drifting on the mist.

Because of this (the Fayre, not the fog), the route was changed from the usual 5km loop, to a bigger one of 4.4 miles, and taking in a fetchingly long and muddy hill. I quite like the new lap though, more trail-y. 

I have been feeling tired lately, and a little unenthused. But I was looking forward to a weekend with Traviss, Rachel and SVN, as I have never done an SVN event that hasn't put a smile on my face.

Saturday (The Festive Frolic) I did a 50km (7 laps plus a tiny bit). I did a quick half marathon with Andrew (who then kept up the pace, big congrats!) and then I relaxed a bit and enjoyed lots of chats on the second half, seeing wee Zico, and a mince pie! It being the Festive Frolic run, there were some outstanding Christmas outfits out and about. My favourite was Katherine's snowman outfit - wow!

Many milestones and achievements reached today, all weekend in fact - big congratulations to everyone!

I love the medal, with it's dangly tank baubles.


Also picked up my coaster from the 10 in 10 - what a fantastic memento of a brilliant experience - thanks Traviss and Rachel! I've now got the White Horse 100 slate/placemat and a coaster....so am on the look out for events which have other items of dining wear as mementos. 


Saturday night, we stayed in the Travelodge, had a trip to Morisons with Rob, saw Zico again, and had a Morisons picnic. I also completed 3.5 hours of online vaccination training, which I got told on Friday that I need to complete before Monday, as I'm being moved at work to the vaccination team. Hopefully, my attention span and memory weren't affected too much by running 50km, and I took in all the important points. Fingers crossed!

Sunday, was the Usual Suspects run. Today was a chat-athon with Sarah and Andrew, and was the best fun - thank you, you two! As usual, topics of conversation were wide ranging, and included racing pigeons (please, if anyone knows about racing pigeons, I have questions!!), crisps, posh pepper and the planned posh pepper empire, fudge, giving vaccines (don't worry Sarah, I have the "amended" question sequence memorised!), what comes before Part B (PARTAYYYY!!!), Christmas decorations, mice we have met on runs, turkey hits (= hurty bits = Andrew's injuries), and mud. Loads of the "usual suspects" out, and fab to see everyone. Today the fog seemed foggier, the cold was colder, and the mud was muddier, but there is a warm feeling inside when surrounded by friends!

Today, I got my 1000 mile SVN hoody! 

Thanks Traviss, Rachel for all of your support, good cheer, and encouragement, and for making each of the 1000 miles special, I have loved every one, and here's to the next 1000! And thank you for this weekend, and all of the SVN Team - you're brilliant.

Well done to everyone, and a MERRY CHRISTMAS to all! 🎄🎅⛄


No comments:

Post a Comment