My Background

Monday 10 April 2023

Phoenix Running 10 in 10 Series, Day 10 (Invincible Ring), 29.5 miles, 10.04.2023

Day 10 of 10 days! Another 9 laps, and 29.5 miles, for ultramarathon #10/10. It is done!

The weather today was disgraceful, and the towpath was like a mud-fest. The mud did have variety though, I'll give it that. There was good mud, bad mud, "stay away from the sides!' mud, tempered chocolate mud, and tickly mud. Dirty mud, and clean mud. "Mud Alley" was renamed "Puddle Alley". We got so muddy we looked like we had been playing rugby, instead of running on the towpath. Avoiding it was useless, and running straight through the middle turned out to be far the best option! 

Andrew came down too, and did a swift sub 4 marathon - nice work! 

It was quite tough to start with, running in the heavy rain and murk, and sloshing through the mud. But today we just had to get it done, so we stuck to our Three Lap Freddo Strategy, employed the Shrimp Strategy, and kept our spirits up by chatting together and catching up with others. 9 laps became 8, became 7....and soon enough, it was done!

What an amazing 10 days on the towpath, with a brilliant group of people. Huge well done to everyone! I'm so going to miss you all tomorrow! Good luck for the next two days for those bonkers enough to be doing 12 in 12!

Thank you to the ever awesome Rik and Team Phoenix for a fabulous 10 whole days of running fun!

The medal today is the Invincible Ring.



And of course thank you to my princess twin Sarah, for sharing every single step of the 295 miles, for the chats, laughs, randomness, and getting each other through. I never thought I could do 10 ultras in 10 days. Never! But I knew Sarah could. And turns out Sarah didn't think she could, but she thought I could. So maybe we should have added this topic to our chat agenda at the start, and saved each other a lot of secret worry. Oh well, next time! 



Today was also my 100th lifetime ultra-marathon event.  Thank you so much Rik for my presentation and all the stats (I didn't know any of these!), and I'm sorry I got confused about what my first ultra was (I'm so embarrassing).  It was fabulous to get my green and silver Phoenix 100 Ultra Wings with Sarah (who did her 100th ultra back in February). Thank you so much everyone for your kind words! 💗




And - thank you so very much everyone who has sponsored me, to raise money for the Royal Marsden Cancer Charity, in memory of my friend Hannah 💛💛💛 We have raised over £1000 now, over double my initial target! Your kindness in donating and also in your words and support has completely blown me away. Thank you so much from the very bottom of my heart!  My justgiving page is HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment