My Background

Tuesday 4 April 2023

Phoenix Running 10 in 10 Series, Day 4 (Resolute Ring), 29.5 miles, 04.04.2023

Day 4 of 10 days!

Today we ran the east-bound route. The weather was freezing (literally) to start with, but turned into the most beautiful bright sunny day!

Day 4 today, and although everything in my body is feeling fine, in my head, it felt a bit tough to start with today; it still felt like a long way to go, and a big hill to climb, to get to 10 days. But after a few laps, I felt more positive about it - chatting to Sarah, running along in the sunshine, seeing everyone else -  and I started to think that I could do it again.

My feet also felt much better today. The mud has dried enough so that the towpath is no longer a bog, and is bouncy underfoot, so is nice to run on.

Had a stand off with a swan at the lock, who was out drying off in the sun....right in front of the gate, and was not for having his drying routine disturbed.

The towpath was quite quiet at some points. During this time, we discussed whether we would prefer to take on an alien or a predator. Decided on aliens. For a few minutes at least, until Sarah mentioned the film "A Quiet Place". This is where the world is overtaken by aliens, who can't see, but who have an incredible sense of hearing, so no one and nothing can talk or make any sound at all, or the aliens find them. We wouldn't last two minutes. On cue, a moorhen started squawking loudly, and then all of a sudden, ominously, all fell silent....

Topics of discussion also included B+Q, having hair removing running clothes, and what to do with the 10 in 10 series of medals. These are different coloured rings, and actually fit on as bracelets. So we could use them as jewellery. Other ideas included (varying in levels of creativity, and listed in order) using a curtain rail, getting a custom made wooden post, a Hoopla game, or making a plaster-of-Paris hand out of a rubber glove (Sarah can already do this). In reality, they are very beautiful, and so they will look lovely in a medal display, all in rainbow order.

Back to peach (Bellinis) salt tablets today. And thank you Paul for the cake 😊

The river was looking lovely in the sunshine, but is very high and fast flowing, and is a sort of murky /green/sludge colour. That, along with the millions of midges which have suddenly made and appearance, gave it the impression of a swamp in some places. What is the actual point of midges? And, why aren't they extinct? I know there's millions of the things, but I breathed in a least 3 and so did Sarah, another two met their end whilst flying at high speed into my sunglasses, and when I checked in the mirror after finishing there were another few squashed on my face. How have they not wiped themselves out by now??

Saw another Chinook!

So another 9 laps, and 29.5 miles, for ultramarathon #4/10. I feel better now than I did this morning, I think, which doesn't make too much sense, but there you go. 

The medal today is the Resolute Ring.


Thanks so much everyone who has sponsored me! My justgiving page is HERE!




No comments:

Post a Comment