My Background

Sunday 2 April 2023

Phoenix Running 10 in 10 Series, Day 2 (Gauntlet Ring), 29.5 miles, 02.04.2023

 Day 2 of 10 days!


Travelodge update first: it was super quiet last night, and I had the best sleep!

My legs felt fine after day 1, but I've carried my massage gun all the way to Walton on Thames, so I'm going to use it. Plus, prevention is better than cure, as they say. Applied my Deep Heat roll-on over all of my legs afterwards. I like the roll on type, as you don't get it all over your hands, and then inevitably in your eyes, but it is quite easy to get carried away and put on quite a lot. For the next half an hour, my legs felt like they were on fire, and looked like it too, with a fetching pattern of bright red lines all over them. I was getting a bit concerned, and wondered if it is possible to overdose on Deep Heat? 

Whatever the answer, my legs felt good this morning!

Today we ran the other way on the towpath, east bound towards Hampton Court, on another 5km route. I like this route as it is in the trees and quite shaded, which was handy as there was a very cold wind today! The sky was a lovely grey colour (very on trend) all the time we were running, until one minute after we finished, when the sun sauntered out from behind the clouds, the sky turned bright blue, and it was a lovely afternoon.

The towpath was muddy, but much better than it could have been! It seems to be drying out a bit from all the recent rain. Nethertheless, my yellow shoe laces are now mud coloured, so I'm having to wash them tonight.

Sarah and I experimented with a new Freddo Strategy. Usually, for a marathon, we have a half way Freddo (after 4 laps). As we are doing ultras, and 10 of them, we felt that probably wasn't a good enough Freddo:laps ratio. So now we do 3 laps, have a Freddo, do another 3 laps, have another Freddo, then do another 3 laps, and finish. Much better! Plus, if eaten with peanut butter pretzel parcels, it's yum.

Another good crowd out today, and nice to have some chats in the way round. 

It was Sunday, so if we weren't running, Bottomless Brunch was one of the options we considered might be a suitable alternative. Therefore, today's salt tablet flavour of choice was peach, for peach bellinis.

During today's chat-athon, we covered a range of topics, which as we are now on day 2, and been talking for a long time, we are  now venturing into areas of conversation where we weren't so confident. So made a list of "Things to Google" later....

- Q: Does King Charles have two birthdays, like the Queen did? And if so, when? A: Yes, actual birthday 14th Nov and official birthday on the 2nd weekend in June.  Since King George II, monarchs have traditionally had two birthdays, one to coincide with the Tropping of the Colour, and all the celebrations, in the good weather in June.
- Q: What was the score of the Walton + Hersham V Basingstoke football match yesterday? A: 5-1 
- Q: How much is a top of the range Tesla? A: cars, literally I have no clue, so got a bit lost to be honest. According to Carwow (a reputable website???) £137,000.

Thank you, Google.

So another 9 laps, and 29.5 miles, for ultramarathon #2/10. Everything felt fine, which is good news for day 2!

The medal today is the Gauntlet Ring.



Thanks so much everyone who has sponsored me! My justgiving page is HERE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment