My Background

Wednesday 20 May 2015

100 Days of Running Day 18



Today was the most dramatic run yet! I had finally persuaded myself to be disciplined and done my revision first before going out for a run. The weather looked good for the day, so I set off mid afternoon in the sunshine. There was a black cloud hovering in the distance, but I chose the ostrich approach, and buried my head in the sand regarding such matters, and jogged on.

My legs were a bit more stiff today. I always find this, the day after a marathon isn't too bad, and every time I think I've got away with it and feel smug, then the next day I wake up and everything is 10 times worse. Running it out does help though, even though the first few miles hurt, I find it helps the legs recover quicker. 

I got to Victoria Park and the sun was shining and people were out and about walking dogs, children playing, park rangers ranging, runners running. Then all of a sudden, there was an enormous clap of thunder and the sky turned dark. And the air went all still for a moment and then a huge gust of wind and ginormous hail stones started to fall! Absolutely huge! They were being flung about the air in a frenzy, much like insults are flung in a double episode of Eastenders. There I was in a little vest and shorts and the hail stones were stinging like crazy. The thunder was cracking all around. I reached a decision. I figured a tree would be a bit like an umbrella, but thinking (a long way) back to high school physics I know you're not supposed to stand under a tree in a thunder storm, as the lightening goes for tall things. I didn't have much choice as Victoria Park, I realized at that point as I stared around at all the tress, is essentially a big forest. I panicked, as I find serves me best in stressful situations, then reached a compromise and went for shelter under a little tree. If physics is right, then the lightening will hit a big tree I supposed. The park rangers drove past in their safe and insulated (and warm) ranger van, and I cowered a little longer under the little tree. Eventually the hail stopped, as quickly as it had started, and I shimmied on home fast as I could to defrost.




Chilly 5.3 miles indeed. The sun came out again as I turned the key in the lock. Lovely. 


Stats
Days: 18
Total miles: 173.72

uk.virginmoneygiving.com/100days

No comments:

Post a Comment