My Background

Friday 22 May 2015

100 Days of Running Day 20


Day 20 was a good day! I went to visit my friend Natasha and her beautiful new baby for the afternoon up in Enfield. Much time spent catching up and having ice cream in the park in the sunshine. Lovely afternoon. Had decided to run home, as I thought it looked about 11 miles and it would be a new route to try out. My directions were: turn left and run until I find the Lea Valley, then turn right down the canal, carry on in a straight-ish line until somewhere near the Olympic Park, turn right down the Hertford Union canal, then I should know where I am. I thought this sounded fine, but Natasha was worried the canal would be dangerous, and I would have to run through Tottenham. I was a bit scared about it all by the time I set off, and my Osyter card in my pocket kept springing into my mind. But Natasha's husband gave me better directions, and also an idea for a more busy route if the canal was horrible. Always feel better with a back up plan! 

It turned out to be all fine! There were plenty of people around on the canal path walking and cycling, a few runners, and people on their canal boats. A great bonus was that you can see the Gerkin and the city from way back and it's a great contrast, running though the green countryside, with the skyscrapers on the skyline. The downside is you can see the city for ages, and it never gets any closer. I made it to Tottenham, and out the other side, and it was nice there with people kayaking under weeping willow trees. There was a dog who looked like it wanted a fight, but I passed on the offer. I figured out how to use my phone using headphones, and spoke to my parents which was good to catch up with them. I got a bit lost around Hackney Marshes, but made it out of there with the help of some helpful signposts. Then I saw this!


Yay! According to my directions, I turned right here. That bit of the canal was a bit dodgy, but I found an entrance in to Victoria Park not too far up it, and ran through there instead. And then it wasn't far to home. I slightly underestimated how far it was, and got home in 14 miles rather than 11, but it was still warm and light, and luckily Andrew had saved some tea. 

It makes a difference doing something different. The last few days have been a bit of a slog, running around the same places, knowing exactly how far everything is. Running somewhere new makes things interesting again, and the distances go by more quickly. It's true then that a change is as good as a rest. 



Stats
Days: 20
Total miles: 194.72

uk.virginmoneygiving.com/100days

No comments:

Post a Comment