My Background

Friday 22 May 2015

100 Days of Running Day 21



Today is 100 Days of Running 21st birthday! Celebrated with a 10 mile long new route, which I found in the Thames Path book. It's an extension of the Thames Path, just in case there wasn't enough of it to do already, and is a loop around the Regents Canal, Hertford Union Canal, the River Lea Navigation, and Limehouse Cut. It's interesting, it's not that pretty, as this is the area around the Olympic Park, which changed a lot I think leading up to the Olympics in 2012. Before this, this area perhaps wasn't the most developed part of town - you can see that from the canals there is a lot of change going on here, it was a bit like running through a building site for most of it - cranes and diggers and new flats going up all around. I suppose it looks very different from how is did before the Olympics and in a few years from now it will be unrecognizable again - so it was interesting to see it part way through it's progress. 



I finished off by running all the way back along the Regents canal to Angel, for old times sake, this was my old route to work. Then I walked back along the canal in the sunshine to stretch out the old leg muscles. 

Stats
Days: 21
Total miles: 204.72

Celebrated 21 days with some new recipes. Running every day works up an appetite and I need to be careful to replace the calories I use up each day.

Date flapjacks (makes 12 small squares)
My Nana used to make THE most amazing sticky datey flapjack type treats. I used to hope that she would bring out 'the tin' which she kept them in whenever we went to her house. She lived in a big old house and had a proper pantry, which I never actually liked, as I'm sure it was haunted, and I used to panic whenever anyone went in there as I thought they wouldn't come back out. But on balance, it was worth the risk, to retrieve the flapjacks from their spooky storage place. I never found the recipe she used (it was probably in her head) and have never managed to make them quite like she did. These aren't quite there, but they're quite close, and they taste good, so I'm happy with them!

200 g oats
125 g butter
100 g brown sugar
2 dessert spoons maple syrup
150 g dried dates chopped

Melt butter, sugar and syrup in pan. Once melted, stir in oats. Layer half the mixture in the bottom of a loaf tin. Sprinkle dates over this. Top with the rest of the oat mixture. Bake at 170oC for 30 minutes. 

Nutritional info per 1 square (makes 12)
229 kcal, 11.7 g fat, 5.6 g saturated fat, 30 g carbohydrate, 2.3 g fibre, 16.9 g sugar, 2.5 g protein, 0.01 g salt

Choconutnana Milkshake
I've been drinking quite a lot of milky drinks lately to help with having enough calories to meet my increased requirements from the running. I decided to try to make my own, and this is my favourite. I've been trying soya milk, not for any particular reason other than that I have worked with quite a lot of patients who are unable to tolerate cow's milk, so I tried it so that I could understand what it is that they need to have instead. I actually like it and it works well in this shake! But cow's milk works as well too. 

200 ml soya milk
1 banana (about 100 g)
1 heaped teaspoon cocoa powder
1 heaped tablespoon peanut butter

Put ingredients in blender. Put lid on. Wizz. Drink.

Nutritional info
282 kcal, 12 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 31.5 g carbohydrate, 5.6 g fibre, 18.4 g sugar, 11.9 g protein, 0.4 g salt



1 comment:

  1. Finally, I’ve got around to doing a comment. You are a star Amy really don’t know how you do it (and find time to do the blogs). Must say if you can’t get a job as a dietician you should take up writing!
    The recipes sound rather yummy. Dad says you can make the date flapjack when you come home.
    It will soon be day 25 - a quarter of the way through. What will you do to celebrate that?
    Really enjoyed last weekend when I was in London with you. Pleased I have mastered the Boris Bike! I may venture a bit further along the canal next time although in the interests of staying dry I may be safer in the parks. A dip in the Regents Canal doesn’t really look over inviting.
    I do feel I should mention the weather! I seem to remember on day 5 you said you wouldn’t mention weather again but it seems to have crept into days 10, 13, 18 and 19!!!? So, as it’s not a taboo subject, I will just confirm it’s been a glorious sunny day here today (Saturday). Think you said it was raining down there - so much for the South being dryer than the North!! I am pleased it’s sunny here though. The LDWA 100 (a 100 mile walk in 48hours or less for those who don’t know) set off from Rivington at 10am this morning so at least they have had a dry first day and rain is not forecast until the early hours of Sunday morning.
    I know you had a place to attempt the above walk/run and were disappointed when you had to give it up because of injury but I think your current challenge is equally challenging if not more so and it’s raising money for 3 very worthwhile charities.
    Well done you. We are both very proud of you
    Mum and Dad xxx

    ReplyDelete