My Background

Friday 19 April 2019

10 marathons in 10 days, day #7/10

Day 7's run, for the Intrepid medal...


I think today was the hardest day. I wish I'd brought my Adversity shield with me to fight it! All the stuff about getting to the start line being the hardest bit certainly came true today, although not in the way I think it is meant!

Left my house extra early at 6.15, to leave time to get around the protests in London, and allow for the Bank Hol trains. Bus to Waterloo didn't turn up, so headed a different way round. Bus passed me a few mins after, as I was walking, and drove on it's merry little way. Got to Waterloo, all the trains said "delayed or cancelled". Waited around a little to find out more, and was told all the lines were shut due to an incident, and the closest I could get on a train was Woking. Got on train to Woking. The train literally had it's breaks on the whole way and it took AN HOUR to get there! By now it was almost 8.45 and the race started at 9.30. Ordered an Uber, and watched the little car on the screen drive in circles, away from me, and the ETA go up...at that point, I don't mind admitting I had a proper cry, sat in a wall outside Woking station, and kicked the floor a few times. How glamourous! I was so frustrated! I was giving everything to the 10 in 10, and the reason I was going to fail was because of not flipping getting there! Plus, as well as that, I was now stuck in Woking, of all places. Great.

A good cry often sorts me out though, I think it gets rid of all the emotion inside. So I stopped, breathed deeply, thought of my Adversity Shield, which I had already got, after all, got a different Uber, and headed on the way. Made it with 10 mins to spare. In the meantime, I'd broken my sunglasses, realised I hadn't brought suncream, and broken the zip on my bag so I couldn't open it. I freaked out again, but as I always say, this community is amazing, and Kerry's husband Keith leant me his sunglasses, Sharky gave me some suncream, and everyone reassured me that now I was here, everything would be okay. Thank you you amazing lot, you are the best 💕

I hadn't even had time to think about running yet today to be honest, but luckily this was the 7th marathon of the week, so my legs seemed to know the drill by now and surprisingly got on with it, which was decent of them, as my mind slowly calmed down over a few laps. I kept having thoughts that everything seemed to be against me and I wasn't meant to finish, but no! I would not believe it! 

It was very very hot today, and the west bound route doesn't have much shade. I never feel hungry running in the heat, but I seemed to get by OK on mostly kendle mint cake and water today. I love Kendal mint cake. And one of the runners even put money behind the counter in the ice cream van for us all, what an absolute legend! 

My body has held up ok so far, and I somehow ran faster today than any other day, even though my mind wasn't really managing as well, which I think was just because I'd been really stressed out and that always makes me go faster. Don't know why, it makes no sense that you should run quicker if you're actually thinking about something else entirely. Mentally I found it really tough today though, it was hard! Had a few more teary moments, but it's all good now, and thanks for the hugs, you lovely lot!

I am so excited to have run a marathon every day for a whole week! One of my favourite books is Survival of the Fittest by Mike Stroud, who did 7 marathons in 7 days. I never even had a thought I could do that. Admittedly, his were also in each of the 7 different continents, but aside from that small fact. I did it! I did!

Now there are three left, which is still a lot, but I'm going to get round them, somehow (as long as I make it to the start).

Today's quote I love so much...


...there are no truer words than these today! I will take you, you big rock of day 7 (and several from the towpath that have made it into my trainers) and you will build part of my 10 in 10! 

And now this is enough emotion and inspirational sayings for one day. Maybe tomorrow I will be more stable! Thank you a million everyone today for your support, you're all bloody brilliant!!! 😍😍😍

No comments:

Post a Comment