My Background

Sunday 7 April 2019

The Woldsman Returns 50 miles (#105) - living the dream!

I've been having nightmares about running all week. First, I was running a one mile race, along the canal, I was in the lead (ha!) when I turned to talk to some other runners, ran off the path, fell in the canal and the sky went dark, and I lost the race. Then the next night, I dreamt it was the first day of the 10 in 10, and I missed the race briefing because I was trying to find a shed in a forest, which was all dark, and I couldn't find my way back. Then I missed the start of the race, and ran in the wrong direction by myself for the whole marathon. Immediately after I woke up from that dream, it was time to head to the start of an actual run - The Woldsman Returns - so I was ready to live the dream (or hopefully, not any of my dreams!)



The Woldsman Returns is a 50 mile run/walk in the Yorkshire Wolds, organised by the East Yorkshire LDWA group. It was the first ultra I did, back in 2014, and I loved it so much. Did it again in 2016, but then it wasn't on for the next couple of years, so was so happy to see it back on the calendar. I just read my blog from last time, and I also had nightmares before it then as well. Which is weird really, to have nightmares about running, if you're about to do one of your favourite events. 




Anyway, back to real life, and my cousin Sammy makes a habit of doing the Woldsman for his milestone birthdays; he was there in 2016 for this 18th, when he carried an '18th' balloon the whole way. He was back this time to celebrate his 21st, which is next week. This time he carried a giant '21st' badge the whole way. Or, make that two, as I also thought this would be a good idea to make him carry a giant badge for 50 miles, so had brought him another, and so he carried two giant badges, plus a birthday card, and a present for 50 miles. Extra weight to carry - what a great gift! Happy Birthday Sammy!!!




The event was just as good as it always used to be. The Wolds are an area of hills in Yorkshire, and the views are massive - for miles you can see rolling hills and the skies are huge. I know the sky is huge wherever you are, but here it just seems endless. I love it here so much, could stare at these views for ever. 














The checkpoints, as always, were fantastic. So much food! And such great people on them, always ready with a smile, a joke, and encouragement to see you on your way. A bit before the half-way checkpoint I'd been starting to feel really hungry, but was saved....


It was a bit of a mixed day. Everything was going really well, I was running with Andrew and we were on for a good pace, doing well on the hills. Then just over 40 miles in, Andrew became really unwell; shakey, shivering, throwing up. It's so awful to see it happen to someone. I'm so lucky I've never been sick while running, but I've been sick at other times, and literally cannot think of anything or do anything else when it happens, so I literally have no idea how Andrew managed to carry on. Absolute hero! We made it to the next checkpoint, at Wetwang (a name which always cheers me up), at 44.5 miles, where Andrew retired. I felt gutted. It felt so unfair he'd get that close to the end, but also I was feeling less freaked out that now he was somewhere warm and safe, where he would feel better. Felt so awful leaving him at the checkpoint, even though I knew he was in fine hands with the marshalls there. The last section I felt quite lonely, even though I saw lots of runners from the day on that part, and it was starting to get a bit gloomy as the evening approached.


So my mood dropped at bit. Plus, I had pins and needles in my left arm for about half an hour, so I worried for a bit that I might be having a stroke or something, but nothing happened, so I figured it was alright. To distract myself from it, I pushed on and did a good pace for the last 7.5 miles, and felt good apart from my weird arm. As a final bit of excitement for the evening I got lost (although, for the first time in the whole day, I'm pleased to add) in the last mile. Which in theory is meant to be the easiest bit to navigate, as it's exactly the same as the first mile is, but in reverse. But, I had to make my dream/ nightmares come true, I suppose, and this was the last chance.


I did make it back though, and finished in 10 hours and 55 minutes, for 51 miles and 4500 ft of ascent. Andrew was back too, and is better. Had beans and cheese on toast to finish. Well done to everyone who took part, and well done to Sammy who put in a sterling performance, as always! 

Thankyou East Yorkshire LDWA and all your volunteers for a super event! I really really hope the Woldsman has returned for good! Perfect route, great checkpoints, lovely people both volunteering and taking part. And some brilliant place names to marvel at on the way around....

Kilham (just after a pig farm - how insensitive!)

Fridaythorpe - where every day is Friday! And the perfect running sign - Painsthorpe right next to Huggate - so presumably, you can get a hug, if you are in pain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment