My Background

Thursday 30 July 2015

100 Days of Running Day 88: DNA trail done!

 

 
Day 88: 5 km
Pre-breakfast run to Victoria Park along the canal before heading back to The North. On the way to the station, stopped off at the Renaissance Hotel in Kings Cross to collect my last DNA sculpture! The trail is complete! I cheated a wee bit yesterday, and collected 6 elusive ones on a long afternoon walk around the centre of town - ones which were in tricky places to run to, or would need runs which wouldn't be very nice (through Victoria Station, for instance). I figured, since I still walked to them, which is basically the same as running but without the rush, that this still counts. I thus completed my very first art trail!
 
Double Dutch Delft Blue DNA - Chris and Xand van Tulleken, at Victoria Station
Loved this one, reminded me of my Granny (a cancer survivor) and Grandad's kitchen! Delft tiles feature recurrent motifs, like DNA does, and this one is designed by twin doctors (see TV programmes on medically stuff!)
 
Soul - Aston Martin, at 80 Victoria Street
Nearly missed this one. Few tense moments wandering around Victoria in completely the wrong direction - something I manage on every occasion I have the delight of coming to Victoria. Was frantically glaring alternately between my map and the building numbers behind a crowd of people, when I glanced it in a window on the other side of the road. Aston Martins are composed of a vast number of individual elements that work in harmony - as in DNA. This is also, luxuriously, made of leather, ooooh.
 
Helix - Zaha Hadid, Stamp Staircase in Somerset House
Dark blue steel ribbons, represent a sculptural moment suspended in motion. You see this from above first as you come into the staircase from the top. Great effect as you descend the stairs and the sculpture seems to change shape.
 
 
 
 Ted's Helix of Habadashery - Ted Baker, by Carnaby Street
Simply stunning! Covered in a shimmering rainbow of tiny buttons. Beautiful!!!
 
Silver - Michael Howells, by Bond Street
A tarnished silver helix, representing beauty in ageing.
 
Untitiled 2 - Ai Weiwei , in Darren Baker Gallery window, Charlotte Street
 
Ascension Twisted Ladder in Wood - Benjamin Shine, in St Pancras Renaissance Hotel
Francis Crick first described the structure of DNA as 'a twisted ladder' and the design also symbolises the continued ascension to higher understanding in this area of science. I learnt this whilst feeling conspicuous standing in the hotel lobby, as clearly I was not staying here (you could tell this clearly just by observing my luggage, which doesn't match) 

A beautiful collection of sculptures, fusing art with science, have loved searching for them on my runs! And all for an excellent cause, let the research into cancer march ever onwards! To the brave patients, their families, medical teams, carers, scientists and all the millions other amazing people around the world who make up the army against cancer - you are all fabulous. This trail brings it home - walking down a street, and boom, there's a sculpture - I guess cancer is always close by, for all of us. And the sculptures are all different, like our DNA is different, and peoples experiences of cancer also must be very different. The sculptures are right in among the crowds in many places, and I liked this - no one should have to fight cancer alone, but surrounded by those who are fighting with them.  

Thanks CR UK!

The sculptures are there until 6th Sept - so if you're about in London, check them out!

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/support-us/donate/francis-crick-institute/DNA-trail

 
Stats
Total days: 88 days
Total miles: 904 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment