My Background

Thursday 11 June 2015

100 Days of Running - it's Day 40!

 

100 days of running is the big Four-Oh today! 40 days ago this morning, I did a 10 km race (the awesome Frontrunners Cake Race in Manchester), and since then I have run at least 5 km each day. My Running Streak will last for 100 days and in this time I'll run 1000 miles. I'm raising money along the way for three great charities - the Clatterbridge Cancer Charity, Macmillan and St Joseph's Hospice, for my amazing Aunty who is having treatment for cancer.
 
Epic run for day 40...10 miles along the canal from Halifax to Brighouse and back.

 
Gorgeous sunny morning. Canal path is really tranquil, apart from a bit when I got lost and ran along a main road with no pavement for a bit, which woke me up, I can say. 
 
 
 
 
Apart from that part, I spent most of the run thinking about the last 40 days and everything that's happened, and everything I've learned along the way so far.
 
I've learnt even more how kind people are when they find out about this, both in donating money, and also in their thoughts and comments, and well wishes for my Aunty. I feel a huge great warm feeling when I think of this, like it must feel to be a marshmallow on a cup of hot chocolate.
 
I've also learnt that people are very kind in their support - my parents for example, who have been to lots of the races, and who make sure to take care of me, and Andrew who has done lots of races and kept me company on lots of solo runs too. And all the volunteers at races who give up their time to make sure you're OK, and all the people who come to watch and shout nice things at you when the going gets tough.
 
I feel like I'm connecting with people more, and I feel grateful to have realised the benefit of this. Even a simple smile and hello makes a connection between people, and makes you feel better This morning was no exception - even got a 'cheers' with a cup of tea from a man on a canal boat. Mmmmm.....tea......(another thing I've learned, I always really want a cup of tea once I start to get really hot and dehydrated, which is odd, you'd think you'd want something icy and cool).
 
I've figured out I can run further than I think. I was so unsure at the start how much I'd be able to do. The first few weeks were tough, but after a point, I'd say that running every day feels much more comfortable than it did at the start. It's still a huge challenge, but one that I wake up every day ready for, rather than worry for.
 
I've also learnt to respect and be grateful for my body, which I'm ashamed to say I've always taken fore granted, Running every day means you need to look after yourself. Things that I would normally ignore become huge worries - what if they mean I can't run tomorrow?! But I have a great appreciation for what my body can do to heal itself, a painful pulled muscle from a marathon can be much better tomorrow, with the right approach. 
 
So, I guess that what I'm trying to say is this: I decided to do this because I wanted to do something for my Aunty, and I chose to do this particular thing because I didn't know if I could do it, and if you want to get sponsored for something, you've got to go out there and do something that challenges you. And doing something that challenges you, that's more than you are comfortable doing, seems a bit scary. But when you do it, take the step, you find that things are pretty amazing and better than they were before you started.....
 

 
 
I still don't know if I can do it, run for 100 days, get to 1000 miles. But I'm looking forward to seeing what else there is to find beyond 'z' because so far, everything I've found has been special.
 
Stats
Days: 40
Total miles: 381.6 miles

 

1 comment:

  1. I can’t believe it’s 40 days since you started this challenge and 39 days since our impromptu bit of marshalling at the Bluebell 10k! Where does the time go. Be Christmas shopping soon at this rate.
    I have thoroughly enjoyed the events I have managed to get to as supporter. I don’t have a favourite, they are all different but I did enjoy my circuit of Richmond Park when you did that marathon.
    We are following your suggestion about smiling. However there seem to be 2 groups we have found that are a bit of a challenge:- fishermen and nurses in blood clinics (that may be a bit unfair on the nurses, can’t be much fun sticking needles in peoples arms all day but a smile and a cheerful word makes it all so much better). Mum xx
    I enjoyed the Bolton Hill Marathon a lot – epic ! Your blogs are an inspiration to us all. The old WW1 soldier’s song ‘Pack up your troubles’ seems very appropriate for you. (if you know the words) We are so proud of our two daughters who push the boundaries in their own way and try new challenges and learn valuable lessons on the way. Dad xx

    ReplyDelete